Everything You Need to Know About Hypoallergenic Jewelry
Wearing Jewelry is a great way to pull together a whole outfit while at the same time showing glimpses of your personality by having an accessory that pops. It feels wonderful to have a beautiful necklace, bracelet, or ring that turns heads as you pass by. However, not everyone can wear certain types of Jewelry as they may be allergic to the metal material the piece is crafted from.
How Do You Know If You Are Allergic to Jewelry?
When it comes to figuring out if you have a Jewelry allergy, you will want to observe areas of your body where the Jewelry touches. This will be your best bet of noticing any signs of allergies as your skin will begin to itch and turn red, and sometimes leave a rash. Common signs of Jewelry allergies include:
- Rash on the neck.
- Itchy earlobes.
- Red marks where the Jewelry touches.
What Are Common Jewelry Allergies?
The most common type of Jewelry allergy is Jewelry that is made from nickel. Nickel is a naturally white metal that is usually mixed with other metals to create an alloy. In Jewelry, nickel can be found in earring posts, body Jewelry, eyeglass frames, watchbands, buttons, zippers, and costume Jewelry.
What Are Different Types of Hypoallergenic Jewelry?
To avoid getting signs of Jewelry allergies and prevent potential rashes, you will need to investigate the types of metals your Jewelry is made of. Types of hypoallergenic Jewelry material include:
- 18K Gold
- Sterling Silver (92.5% Silver)
- Stainless Steel
What Can Be Done About Jewelry Allergies?
The best thing to do to prevent Jewelry allergies is to simply switch the metals of the Jewelry to any one of the hypoallergenic Jewelry materials listed above. You will also want to stay away from plated pieces such as German silver, nickel silver, and most costume Jewelry. These materials tend to rely heavily on nickel as a filler element. Another tactic you can do is keep your Jewelry clean and free of tarnish that could cause the allergies symptoms to appear. If there are pieces you just can’t get rid of and you know they cause a rash, try wearing them for short periods of time. While wearing these pieces, make sure the skin it will encounter is kept dry.
For extra protection make sure you buy your Jewelry from trusted sources. If you would like to learn more about how to start your own Jewelry business visit our website or get in touch with us by email.